13 Feb Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder *
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (no need to peel if organic)
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (can add more to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth (homemade is ideal or natural stock)
- 1 (15-ounce/398 mL) can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup chopped kale or spinach
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- Optional: chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
1) Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion until it softens, about 4-5 minutes.
2) Add the garlic and spices and cook 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
3) To the pot, add the lentils, sweet potato, and carrot. Stir to combine everything.
4) Pour in the broth and can of coconut milk and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes, or until the lentils and sweet potato are tender.
5) Turn off the heat and stir in the kale or spinach until wilted.
6) Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the lime juice to the pot and add more if needed. If desired, garnish a bowl of soul with chopped fresh cilantro before serving.
*Real ginger can be used instead of powdered. Use 1 tbsp peeled and grated ginger